Back to school today! No students yet, but still….the minute I walked through the library door this morning, the “new year” began. There are boxes of new books to unpack, books to check in (yes, they were returned during the summer), and fun posters to put on the bulletin boards.
Over the next few weeks, I’ll highlight some of the new books I’m looking forward to sharing with Inly’s students this year, beginning with those for our youngest children. Here are five new books that are already on my storytime list…
1. A House in the Woods by Inga Moore (I love Inga Moore’s detailed illustrations. This is a charming story of four animals who build a home to share.)
2. The Monsters’ Monster by Patrick McDonnell (I might save this one for October when there are lots of requests for “monster books.” A story about three little monsters who argue about who is the meanest monster of all. When they finally encounter the “biggest, baddest monster ever,” things don’t go exactly as planned. This one is going to be a crowd favorite…)
3. Mom, It’s My First Day of Kindergarten! by Hyewon Yum (You don’t have to be going to kindergarten to love this story about school. One of the two main characters is nervous about the first day – but it’s not who you think it is!)
4. Bear Has a Story to Tell by Philip C. Stead (As the title says, Bear wants to tell his story, but his friends are all getting ready for winter. Pair this one with Frederick by Leo Lionni – both books are tribute to the power of sharing stories with friends.)
5. Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems (A fractured fairy tale featuring dinosaurs and re-told by Mo Willems – a combination that guarantees storytime success!)