There are few things I enjoy more than a list of coming attractions – not for movies, but for books. I love reading about the books getting attention before they hit the real or “virtual” shelves. Of course, the lists remind me of the “to read” pile on my nightstand, but it’s nice to go to sleep with visions of new books dancing in my head.
Here are five titles I’m looking forward to this calendar year…
1. One Cool Friend by Toni Puzzeo with illustrations by David Small – a picture book about a city boy and his pet penguin. This book just came out, but I haven’t seen it yet. The cover of the “fancy” boy and his new friend is delightful.
2. Bink and Gollie: Two for One by Kate DiCamillo and illustrations by Allison McGhee – The first Bink and Gollie was warm and sparkling – I can’t wait to see the new installment!
3. When I Was a Child I Read Books by Marilyne Robinson – a collection of essays by the author of Gilead and Home.
4. The Red House by Mark Haddon – the author of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time has a new novel coming out in June.
5. Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver – Kingsolver’s new book (to be published this fall) takes place in a small town in Tennessee.
In the meantime, I have plenty to read while waiting for these (and many other) new books. Right now, I’m deep in summer planning mode – reading books that may find their way onto Inly’s 2012 summer reading list.