I’m going to California in a few days so the Golden State is very much top of mind. Before hitting the bookstores in San Francisco, I’ve been doing a bit of research and have found all kinds of wonderful things – some I knew about and a few I want to learn more about. First, while I knew about Celeste Mannis’ book, Snapshots: The Wonders of Monterey Bay – I did not know about this one:
JULIA MORGAN BUILT A CASTLE
- Beatty Award, California Library Association, 2007
- A Junior Library Guild Premiere Selection, 2007
- Amelia Bloomer Project, American Library Association, 2007
- San Francisco Chronicle, Best of the Season, December 2006
- Walter and Valerie’s Best Books of 2006
Julia Morgan is the architect of William Randolph Heart’s estate, often called “San Simeon” because of its location. We are visiting San Simeon while in California so I think Mannis’ book will find its way into my shopping bag!
Here are a few of my other favorite California-based books for young people – all of them for readers age 10 and over.
Steninbeck’s Ghost by Lewis Buzbee
Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko
The Ballad of Lucy Whipple by Karen Cushman
The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child by Francisco Jimenez
Gold Fever! Tales from the Gold Rush by Rosalyn Schanzer